Providing better service to the city through reforms cannot be achieved by focusing on one specific area. It requires us to take a comprehensive look at everything we do and determine how we can do it better.
For many Chicagoans, the only interaction they’ll ever have with CPD is through a police officer. To make sure they provide you the most professional service, it is important that we provide our officers with the best resources and strategic supervision.
That’s why in addition to quality training and revised policies, we are committed to equip Chicago police officers with the tools and guidance necessary to improve our service, build greater partnerships with the community, and to make our city safer.
- Providing Tasers and training to every officer responding to a service call – Provides officers with a less-lethal option for situations where the use of force is necessary
- Rolling out 550 new patrol vehicles equipped with the latest technology – These new vehicles are equipped with technology to give officers better information and keep both officers and Chicagoans safe.
Reforms In Progress
- Two year hiring plan to add 970 new sworn members, including over 100 new Sergeants and 50 Lieutenants
- Reinvigorating Field Training Officer (FTO) supervision
- Independent study of CPD allocation and deployment of police officers